Designed by New York architect Thomas Phifer and Partners, the Corning Museum of Glass North Wing Expansion provides a 2400 sqm clean white glass façade art gallery building, and a renovated historic glass factory ventilator building.
The spacious light-filled gallery is characterized by the independent curvilinear plaster walls, encouraging circulation and allowing contemplation of larger works in glass.
A 45-meter-long window provides views of the campus green and reorients the visitor to the larger landscape.
The new campus green is bordered by the 1951 Harrison & Abramowitz Corning Office building, the 2001 Smith-Miller Hawkinson façade, and the new North Wing Expansion.
Inspiration from architect:
The new gallery building—which will be the largest space anywhere dedicated to the presentation of contemporary art in glass—features skylighting with a sophisticated light-filtering system that is integrated with the structural roof beams.