Designed by New York architect Thomas Phifer and Partners, the Corning Museum of Glass North Wing Expansion provides a 2400 sqm clean white glass façade art gallery building, and a renovated historic glass factory ventilator building.
The spacious light-filled gallery is charactered by the independent curvilinear plaster walls, encouraging circulation and allowing contemplation of larger works in glass.
An 45 meters long window provides views to the campus green and reorients the visitor to the larger landscape.
The new campus green is bordered by the 1951 Harrison & Abramowitz Corning Office building, the 2001 Smith-Miller Hawkinson façade, and new North Wing Expansion.
Inspiration from architect:
The new gallery building—which will be the largest space anywhere dedicated to the presentation of contemporary art in glass—features skylighting with a sophisticated light-filtering system that is integrated with the structural roof beams.